I remember the day, like it happened yesterday. I was holding back tears as much as I could and once I turned my back, the tears started streaming. That’s where we left you, lined up with all your new classmates, with a smile beaming from ear to ear...ready for your first day of kindergarten. As I was wiping my tears, another mom caught me and said, “Don’t blink before you know it, she will be in high school.”
And then I blinked and it happened. The next time, you walk through the Milford Jr/Sr halls, you will be a freshman in high school. Yes, a freshman. As much as I would like to wrap you up in a bubble, protect your every step, and not let you grow up anymore, that just is not going to happen. Please know, my heart is so full of love, watching you become the young woman God had planned so long ago.
As the next chapter of your story, is turning the page, there will always be lessons to be learned:
- Be thankful...especially for all the “things” you already have.
- You will make mistakes, learn from those mistakes.
- You will cross bridges where your values will be tested.
- You will have to make hard decisions. Some decisions will go against what is popular...you may have to stand alone.
- Show respect. But also know you earn respect...it is not given to you.
- Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.
- I will still expect you to do the small things. You know those things you don’t necessarily like: make your bed, wash dishes, and put your laundry away.
- Be brave.
- Follow your passions.
- Always ask permission. Yes Always.
- You are Loved.
- Your family will always be your biggest fan.
- Value hard work. A strong work ethic, never goes unnoticed.
- Attack the day with kindness. (Don’t worry, I will text you this in college!)
- Be You.
- Love Jesus.
But ultimately, don’t lose sight of who you are, stay true to your dreams, share your gifts, show the world your authentic self. Be Love. Be you. As Bob Goff (from my favorite book Love Does) would say, “The best way to show people that God is everything we say He is -- is for us to be everything He says we are. Become Love.”